thanks for your reply
As I have PR and not RA (yet!) my Consultant tells me there will be no destruction of bones going on - so I am mostly concerned at the moment with keeping pain levels right down and quality of life - also am trying to keep a very close eye for if and when it does become RA, as I realise that I will HAVE
to start these meds. immediately - but for the moment I have a choice - do I start taking drugs which are extremely powerful and hard on the body, risking any one of many considerable side effects (the consultant's words not mine)- if I can control the pain (with painkillers) and work around any disability or do I put off the serious chemo type drugs until either I feel the symptoms cannot be controlled any more by painkillers alone or, most importantly, I start to develop full RA and do not have a choice any more - this has been my particular dilemma - the Consultant has told me that it is extremely important, once RA develops, to start treatment as it is very benificial but he does not believe that taking the strong meds whilst having PR will stop or slow down getting RA - in other words you will either go on to get RA or you won't, whatever treatment you have with your PR.
Suffice to say I still have not finally decided whether to take the meds sooner rather than later - my decision keeps changing whenever I have really bad days and then again when I have better days! (I never get a remission so far)